I had a great day today! I got back my biochemistry exam and got a 98!! It was a tough exam, so I am really very very pleased with the score. I have a microbiology test this Friday, so hopefully I can keep it up and get another good grade on that one also. I also was super-proud of Tara, our German Shepherd Dog, today. We’ve had her for almost 7 months now and she has really come a long way since we brought her home. The training we’ve done with her has really paid off. I take her with me to my mom’s a lot of the time so she can get some fresh air in their yard and we can take advantage of the fenced area to play a bit of fetch. At home, I often let her come out the front door with me off-leash after I’ve checked that there is nothing to distract her and make her run off (i.e. squirrels and other dogs). Well, this afternoon when we were leaving to go to my mom’s, I let her out and she usually runs straight to the car. My neighbor happened to just be walking her dog up the street and Tara caught sight of them and bolted! I immediately called her, “Tara, here!” and she stopped short in her tracks and immediately sprinted back to me! This may not seem like much, but I think it is a huge success! It’s a comforting thought to know that she’ll listen immediately even when she’s distracted if she ever comes upon a dangerous situation. 🙂
The rest of the evening was pretty uneventful. I did NROLW stage 5 workout B tonight:
A. Barbell Romanian Deadlift/Bent-Over Row – 3 sets of 4 @ 90 lbs with 120s RI
B1. Partial single-leg squat – 3 sets of 4 @ 25 lbs with 120s RI
B2. Wide grip lat pulldown – 3 sets of 4 @ 80 lbs with 120s RI
C1. Back Extension (Prone Cobra) – 3 sets of 120s @ BW with 120s RI
C2. YTWL – 3 sets of 4 @ 10 lbs with 120s RI
D1. Swiss-ball crunch -3 sets of 4 @ 20 lbs with 120s RI
D2. Hip flexion – 3 sets of 4 @ BW with 120s RI
D3. Lateral flexion – 3 sets of 4 @ BW with 120s RI
This workout never seems quite as challenging as the other this stage. I guess it’s because there is so much core work at the end that’s done at low/no weight. I am kind of jealous of Mom, she is finishing this stage this week and gets to move on to Stage 6, which is the chin-up stage! I am really excited about it for some reason. I feel strange being so excited about a new weight workout, but I’ve really learned to love lifting over the past year.
Tomorrow will be a running day, just 5 miles with some up hill work. I’m hoping to do it outside with Tara for part of it if the weather cooperates.
It’s that time of the month for my goal check-in for yearly and February goals! I am also squeezing in some March goal-setting tonight, so bear with me through the rest of the post!
1. Set monthly goals on the first of every month and check-in on progress on the last day of every month. This is a work in progress. I’m checking-in a day late, but on track for goal setting for March!
2. Complete a half-Ironman triathlon (signed up for Ironman 70.3 Timberman on August 22, 2010). Registered and reserved a room. Training to begin in April.
3. Complete 2 sprint or Olympic distance triathlons as part of the Virginia Triathlon Series. Probably going to do Smith Mountain Lake Sprint and unsure what the other will be.
4. Do a half-marathon (signed up for the Charlottesville half-Marathon on April 17, 2010). Registered and in-training!
5. Complete one training run of 20 miles. I’m half-way there! I finished my first 10 mile run on Feb. 14!
6. Try one new workout class at the gym for a month. Not yet, would like to try spin or a yoga class.
1. Run a total of 60 miles by the end of the month. (Exercise tracker should reach 110 miles). Done, I reached 115 miles on my tracker this month!
2. Workout (weights/running/cross training) at least 4 times per week. Almost reached this goal. I think last week I only worked out 3 times.
3. Use bike trainer at least once! Done!
4. Focus on nutrition this month by counting calories for one continuous week, starting 2/15/2010. I counted calories for the last two weeks of February.
5. Go on one of the running club runs or join the triathlon club. Still haven’t gotten up the guts to do this.
6. Blog more than once a week! My calendar tells me that I did this for every week except the first one of February.
1. Run at least 75 miles by the end of the month. (Exercise tracker should reach 190 miles).
2. Workout (weights/running/cross training) at least 4 times per week.
3. Do a workout at home at least once per week. (On demand workout, bike trainer, or DVD).
4. Run outside at least once per week.
5. Run with Tara at least 5 miles per week (no more than 3 miles per run).
6. Go for a run with the running club.
7. Join the triathlon club forum and post at least once.
8. Continue to focus on nutrition for the month by counting calories and balancing macronutrient levels.
9. Blog more than twice per week.
Have a great week!